Jerome Street Studios is excited to be hosting Medford resident and talented potter Gail Barry for a one day only pottery show on Saturday, April 25th from 1pm-6pm.
As I continue to try to find my special “voice” in clay, I realize that I am enjoying the journey more than finding a special technique/glaze/form etc. My pots vary in form, size, shape, color and function just as we are varied in our ways of being in this world. I enjoy hand forming as well as wheel throwing and continue to refine my skills as well as my thoughts of what I like. While I have strong roots in creating functional pottery, I am fascinated with the excitement of Raku and Pit firing techniques which yield a more porous and decorative pot. I derive joy not only from creating pots, but also from the pleasure of knowing that others will appreciate and use them.
• Have lived in Medford since 1979
• Expanded interest in clay by beginning an association with Mudflat Studio in Somerville as student, volunteer, and studio monitor
• Taken a variety of classes, participated in raku and soda firings and fire most work to cone 10 in gas reduction or oxidation kilns
• Display and sell pots at the Mudflat Gallery in Porter Square, West Medford Open Studios and Hourglass Gallery in Melrose
• Created a clay studio at home
• Continue to strive to improve techniques and develop a “voice” in clay while enjoying the creative process in its entirety.